CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Real Urges (or, The Babbling Blogger)


Every so often we are reminded how insignificant we are.  We suddenly, inexorably get the urge to do something more than we are doing.  Even if what we do is noble, productive, or even exhalting.  Today I was studying economics—a means to a financial end—when I got the urge to start writing.  I would imagine that most people get urges to do something other than sit quietly in front of a computer screen and type; my wife gets these types of urges (more often than I) and they compel her to be out in the woods or to do something adventurous.  My mind wants to create and feel like I am contributing to our collective thought (somehow adding a philosophical or humorous paragraph or two appeases these needs, even if no one reads them).  As a result, I arrange words into aesthetically pleasing sentences while paying more attention to grammatical structure than actual content.  Anyone reading this would attest to that.  

            In an effort to afford more substance, I will try to make this concept relatable to more than just myself and my wife: What urges you?  When you are bobbing through your busy day of productive, yet monotonous activities what calls to you?  The library?  The car?  The waves?  The movie theater (not just for entertainment, but those who really get inspired by creative cinema will understand this one)?  For my father, it is public policy.  His life is given spice and wonder if he can convince one person that his opinions of moving towards a better world are valid.  My wife (who thinks little of humans and more of animals), finds that time spent in nature detaches her from the greed and thoughtlessness of man and connects her more the sweet innocence of her favorite creatures. 
            Now for an analysis: So What?  What does it matter if I do or do not satisfy my urges to the betterment of my soul?  I would say that your real urges are God-given and, are therefore, a part of exhaltation and eternal progression.  Not to be confused with just any urges; these “real” urges soar above the urges (good and bad) that make up our daily life.  They are the urges that fill the gaps in our lives—the drive to perfect us.  These are the urges that will eventually lead us to our optimal selves… our epitome.  The utopia of individual and collective harmony is built on the real urges of the “every so often.”

            This is, of course, assuming that we a.) recognize and follow these urges and b.) want this desired outcome.  Some choose a life of mediocrity merely because.  Because it’s easy, because it’s fun, because it’s simple: these are all invalid excuses.  Mediocrity may be easy, but eventually, ease becomes an agonizing burden of self-mutilation.  “Fun” also becomes boring and vapid.  All of these reasons then rule the “simplicity” of mediocrity to be just plain wrong.  Simplicity would be to go where these urges lead you, not to fight against them.  At first, it may seem simple: to simply do nothing.  In time, doing nothing becomes the most costly and un-simple thing to do.  There are no valid reasons (besides perhaps the cunningness of the devil) for a soul to remain mediocre.  I therefore restate: some choose a life of mediocrity merely BECAUSE.

            Real Urges are the reason we stop and the reason we think deeply.  They are the cause of great discoveries and the inspiration for self-portraits.   They can be life-altering motivations or strange daydreams.  We are proudly ashamed of them or ashamed to be proud of them. 

            But what do I know.  I did not plan to write this or even take much aforethought about this subject.  I was simply following a pleasant urge.

0 comments: